Invisalign® is an excellent way to straighten your teeth, and both adults and teens often prefer it over traditional metal braces because it straightens teeth without anyone noticing that you are correcting your smile. Dr. Hines is an Invisalign® Dentist who treats patients throughout the 20012 area. If you want to improve the appearance of your smile, call (202) 793-7857 to schedule a consultation and see if Invisalign® is right for you.
How does Invisalign® work?
Invisalign® straightens teeth using a series of aligners that are made to custom fit your teeth. The aligners are made out of a thermoplastic material that is strong and at the same time flexible in order to be comfortable when worn for long periods of time. It’s also virtually invisible.
Invisalign® aligners should be worn for 22 hours a day for two weeks. After that time, they need to be switched out with the next one in the series. Over a period of months, the aligners will slowly move teeth into place, making one minor adjustment at a time that is targeted to specific teeth. This method for straightening teeth is comfortable because they are moved into position at a manageable pace. And once you are done wearing your aligners, your teeth should be perfectly straight.
Benefits of Invisalign®
- Patients prefer wearing Invisalign® because of its convenience vs. wearing traditional braces.
- The aligners are clear, so no one can tell you are straightening your teeth.
- They are only worn for 22 hours a day, so you can take them out to eat dinner, go on a date, or make an important presentation at work.
- You can brush and floss your teeth like normal, and no additional tools are required.
- There is less of a risk that your teeth will become stained vs. wearing metal braces that can be difficult to clean.
- The procedure is more comfortable than metal braces since the aligners move teeth into place slowly and only focus on a few teeth at a time.
- Aligners are easy to take care of, and you only use the same aligner for a couple of weeks.