Dental veneers are thin, tooth-colored shells made of porcelain or resin composite materials that are used in cosmetic dentistry to correct the appearance of teeth. Veneers are attached to the front surface of the teeth in order to improve their color, size and shape. Veneers also strengthen and replace damaged enamel, as enamel does not grow back. People who have chipped, stained, broken, or small teeth find that veneers effectively transform the look of their teeth giving them a pleasing smile.
The Dental Veneer Process
The dental veneer process is usually accomplished in two visits and is virtually painless. Patients leave our office with a beautiful smile and renewed confidence.
- During a consultation, the dentist will go over the treatment procedure and decide if dental veneers are the right option for you. It’s important that we provide you with the best dental treatment for your particular need, otherwise it can cost you time and money and may incur bigger tooth problems in the future.
- At the next visit, the dentist reshapes the surface of the tooth so the veneer can be molded onto the tooth. Next, a mold of the tooth is created and sent to the dental laboratory to build the customized veneer. It will take 2–4 weeks for the veneer to be completed.
- When the dentist receives the new veneer, they’ll check that it matches the color and shape of the old tooth. The veneer is trimmed to fit perfectly over the old tooth.
- The dentist prepares the tooth for the veneer by cleaning and polishing it. Dental cement is used to bind the veneer to the tooth. A special light is used to harden the cement to the old tooth.
- Finally, once the veneer is the proper position, the dentist will remove excess cement and make some final adjustments. A follow-up appointment should be scheduled to ensure the gums are in good health.
If you are interested in dental veneers in Washington, DC, please call our office for a customized consultation. We’re happy to help you achieve the smile of your dreams.